Parkway Medical Center was built and opened in 1973 at 1155 Eastern Parkway in Louisville Kentucky. The builder was a visionary named Al J. Schneider who was well known in the Louisville community for building hotels and properties on the waterfront. Mr. Schneider owned the property until his death in 2001. His children wished to honor their fathers legacy of building up downtown Louisville and decided to put their time and energies into renovating the Galt House hotels.They subsequently sold Parkway to long term Admininstrator Joe Okruhlica and other investors.
Over the years, numerous people came into Parkway Medical Center requesting to see a physician, have labs drawn or ask for the optical shop. These people were directed next door to the Medical Arts building which Al Schneider also built and owned. Many people mistook Parkway Medical Center for a Doctors office building. In an effort to decrease the confusion and inform the public of who we are, Parkway Medical Center became Parkway Rehabilitation & Nursing Center several years ago.